I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited to write a ‘Mind on the Month’ post, as I am to write this one. The last time I was this excited was probably the first time I started writing these posts, in April. Well, I hope this excitement lasts, and October brings gifts with it!
Firstly, I’m sure you noticed my blog theme change. I’m liking this theme TBH. I know I’ve said that like a million times, but really, I do!
I loved September so much. Why? Well, It’s definitely not because I resumed school. I was looking forward to school but then results were delayed by a whole week, meaning registration couldn’t be started. When the results did come out, we found out that one of our exams was cancelled – Criminal Law. It made me so mad because it was the second exam out of the seven that we wrote, and they just cancelled it like that! One bad fruit spoils the whole lot! So, in October I’ll be re-writing an exam I thought I was over with. Hopefully I get an even better mark this time.
Fact: I’m developing a strong love for Masa. It’s a Northern delicacy, basically their version of rice cake. Absolutely delicious, and cheap! I can even eat it without suya, just sprinkle that suya spice like #saltbae and we’re good to go.
So, like I was saying, I loved September. I can’t believe it has gone so fast. On the Thanksgiving Sunday of September at my church, I saw what is probably the biggest turn out for a baby dedication I’ve ever seen. After the church service, the main party was even held at a hotel! Imagine! Well, I didn’t get to go, but I heard of the delicacies served there. Just wow.
September didn’t really bring MAJOR challenges, but it definitely brought gifts and goodies! If you recall from my last Mind on the Month post, the August edition, I said I was looking forward to more packages being delivered. Boy, did they come! I now have homies at the post office, because they saw my face so much this month. These packages were great, because they’re going to take my blog photography to the next level if used properly! Some were disappointing though, but I’ll figure them out!
- Academics: I said in the August recap that I wanted to maintain a GPA above 3.5. Well, I’m sad mine dropped from 3.8 to 3.5, but at least it’s 3.5, right?
- Consistency is Key: I was popping content out left and right, I even had a week where I published like 4 posts. Gosh, I loved September. I hope you’ve read all the posts, and you loved them too!
- Branching Out: I wrote this post on My Beauty Fails, and somehow ended up getting to meet a fellow blogger! I met Bunie Arah of She Fancys That, and it was awesome. I think I’m ready to attend more blogger events now.
- Freebies: I won a free 1 week blog consultation from Maryam Salam of Fashion by Daisy. She is also the founder of The Blogger Point, Nigeria’s first blogger agency. Can you say #favoured #blessed? I’m going to be mentored by a girl boss for a week!
- Engaging Engagements: My engagement on posts was popping, it appeared as If I was asking the right questions, posting the right things. I feel quite confident so far in this blogging journey! I honestly thank God. In church, whenever they say we should submit prayer requests, I always mention my blog, amongst other things. I never thought I’d be this passionate about a corner of the internet.
- The Bloggers Advocate: I discovered and joined a blogger support group on WhatsApp, called The Bloggers Advocate Support Group. If you’re a new blogger looking for some gist, bomb lessons, click here and sit with us! Unlike the mean girls, you CAN sit with us! We don’t yet have a colour scheme, so you don’t have to wear pink on Wednesdays. If you’re not down to join the WhatsApp group, that’s also cool, just follow @thebloggersadvocate
- Spiritual Priorities: I feel like I’m getting on the right track with my spiritual life, like a few days ago I woke up and didn’t immediately open Instagram. I was so proud of myself. I used the Bible App, and got 3 devotionals which I read every morning. Currently, my Bible App streak is 5 days. Honestly, if you’ve read Confession: I Don’t Love God, you’d be proud of me too.
On the less positive side of things, there wasn’t a major event that really had me down in the dumps, but then I did something out of the blue. I decided to apply for a graphic design internship at TBP.
Honestly, It’s not something I would have ever imagined I’d do, but I thought, why not? I’m capable! I made it to the next stage, but due to my negligence I missed the deadline for the task required of me. I felt so sad when I got the email saying I wasn’t accepted, but I’ve learnt my lesson for sure. If you want something, you must be vigilant and proactive.
So yeah, I didn’t get the internship. On the bright side, if you need graphics to spice up your Instagram feed, talk to me and we can work something out! It will help me develop my skills and creativity, because I love playing around with CANVA.
What’s Good, October?
Sometimes, do you ever have months where you wish you could have a seat at the table with the month and ask, ‘what’s good’? Some months are just like that, but September was decent! Now, I look at October with a suspecting aunty look, telling it to behave. After all, September was decent and it doesn’t have two heads *kisses teeth*
I read a post the other day by Barrie of the blog Barrrie, and the title really inspired me. Check out the post (here). I asked for permission to steal it, and permission was granted! So, I want to have a new segment of the blog where I show my buys.
I love shopping, and I don’t think I’ve mentioned that fact enough. Shopping for clothes, makeup, shoes and fabrics gives me a strange kind of happiness. Then again, the condition is that the stuff I’m buying has to be affordable, because let’s admit, I’m a cheapskate. So, I may occasionally show you my great finds, in posts titled “Shop and Tell“. Here’s a little preview:
This September, a lot of nice things came my way, some of which I ordered with my own money, and some which were gifts! One of most treasured freebies, was this gorgeous perfume by Lancôme, called Trésor.
I was so happy to get it, as I have wanted a perfume for a while now. I got tired of my regular deodorant smell. I want to smell like my bank account is not screaming, you feel? My uncle came from the UK and he brought this beauty with him. He gave it to my mum, but I snatched it (after a bit of shameless grovelling). It’s mine now! He also brought along this pretty cute body butter. I’ve always wanted to try one, and here I am! I also love the packaging.
P.S. I’m sure you’ve peeped my monstera leaves. For me, these are the plug when it comes to flat lays! I ordered photo props (hence why in the last monthly reflection I shouted ‘I did it for the aesthetics’), and am leaning towards the tropical vibes feel. However, I also got some floral themed props just in case I want to switch it up!
Finally, a highly valued freebie baby is this sunglass by Dita Eyewear, called Hurricane. It was given to me by a fashion enthusiast (not just anybody, this woman wears strictly designer, people!), like I mentioned on my Instagram. She asked me to google the name, and I found the price of the glasses.
I also saw photos of it on celebrities. I can’t wait to slide it on and feel bourgeois (boujie), imagining myself reclining by a poolside in Marrakech, draped in a gorgeous patterned chiffon maxi dress. Guys, I really want to go to Marrakech. I’m side-eying Asiyami Gold for igniting this travel lust!
Apart from that, I honestly have been waiting for October for ages! I wrote content in advance for it, and trust me when I say the content is A1 (noo, it’s not because I’m the author! How could you insinuate such a thing?) Well, I hope you also have that same view when you read it! October content is a bit more on the laid back side, nothing overly serious, but you’ll definitely love it.
My photo game has upgraded (peep my progress via the gram, follow me at @mindofamaka), and I’m so happy I’ve improved so much since I started blogging. One of my first blog posts with photos was here, and clearly those photos are not impressive. Gosh! I can’t wait for the posts to get published! That’s right, people. I schedule posts weeks ahead, in order to keep consistent, even if in reality I’m drowning in statutes and judicial precedents. That way, I just log in to check my stats and reply to comments! Guys, I love your comments!
This October, I’m anticipating:
- The re-examination and subsequent result – have to maintain that 3.5!
- More opportunities to shop, and perhaps freebies
- Maintaining my Bible App streaks (my goodness, the disciples are probably shaking their head at me. Bible app streaks? What a concept! Haha!) It all takes the first step. Soon, I’ll become a pastor, just like that.
- Generally the good things of life
- Blog stats poppin’
Some Cool Blogs
Like I mentioned above, I joined a blogger group on WhatsApp. Clearly, a lot of links have been dropped in that group, and I’ve found new blogs. I also believe in giving a shoutout to other blogs, no matter what level you’re at. I favour new blogs more though! Anyway, some nice ones you should check out are listed below:
- Zaynaro: She’s cool, I love her flat lays!
- My Orange, My Black: Another cool chica. Don’t side eye me, I know these two people I’ve mentioned have the same theme. No, it’s not favouritism. Come and beat me!
- South of Normality: Can you imagine losing your eyesight? Well, Akbar doesn’t have to, he’s living that reality. He has an awesome perspective, and his posts are quite humorous! Check him out!
That’s it folks! Wow, this post was quite packed. I hope nobody got bored. I need a little favour – if you’re an avid reader of my blog, whether you just found out about me today or months ago, I need your feedback! I want you to tell me the posts I’ve written that you’ve liked most (3 maximum, with your favourite listed first), along with suggestions for topics/segments you think I’d be able to tackle. It’s nearly my 6 month blog-versary, and I’ve actually come quite far!
Have a great October!